Welcome to The Capitol Region Group!
Mission: To help humanity thrive by empowering clients towards achieving financial freedom.
Vision: To provide best-in-class customized financial planning solutions through education, empowerment, and execution.
Capitol Region Group offers a virtual, hybrid, and in-person experience focusing on clients’ holistic financial wellbeing.
We understand that your finances are an integral part of your life, which makes choosing the right financial team of the utmost importance. Press play to learn more about our unique 3-Step New Client Introductory Approach, to ensure that your principles align with what we do at the Capitol Region Group of Thrivent.
Meet Our Team
At Capitol Region Group, we have extensive experience optimizing 401k retirement and executive compensation plans for clients of Raytheon Technologies, Pfizer, The Hartford, Trinity Health of New England (St. Francis Hospital), Hartford Hospital, Travelers, Aetna, American Express, and more. With familiarity of the various compensation packages these companies offer, professionals of Capitol Region Group specialize in helping individuals tailor a company’s employee benefits to maximize their unique financial situation.
Congratulations on Your Retirement!
Following 13 years of dedicated service to members of Greater Boston Financial Associates, Financial Advisor Jim Clouser, announces his retirement from Thrivent on March 29, 2024.
"One of the most rewarding aspects of my career has been the opportunity to listen to clients’ priorities and find financial solutions to help bring them to life," Jim said. "As I transition, know that clients' financial needs and goals remain a top priority. Capitol Region Group will be working with you going forward, and I am confident you are in great hands."
From Capitol Region Group, we wish you nothing but the best as you enter this next phase in life!
Check out our Fall newsletter!
Click the link below to access the latest edition of the Capitol Region Group newsletter, sharing exciting updates about our team and upcoming events, while spotlighting valued and trusted clients, Don and Cathy Mann.
Our experience, credentials, and awards
- Capitol Region Group's lead Wealth Advisor, Sam Chang, CFA®, began the first 16 years of his career working on Wall Street.
- Sam Chang is a CFA® charterholder. The CFA® designation is given to those who have completed its program of study, passed all three levels of its examinations, and met other professional requirements.
- As a Dave Ramsey SmartVestor Professional, Sam Chang exhibits a client-first mentality, committed to educating, empowering, and helping our clients execute on their most important financial goals. The SmartVestor program connects consumers with financial professionals local to their area. To qualify, financial professionals must pass a thorough vetting process while adhering to the SmartVestor code of conduct.*
- At Capitol Region Group of Thrivent, our team of financial professionals offers over 50 years of combined experience working in the industry.
- Thrivent Named One of the World's Most Ethical Fortune 500 Companies® by Ethisphere for the tenth consecutive year.**
- Our firm has expertise in managing over 150B in assets.
*Neither Dave Ramsey nor the SmartVestor program are affiliated with or endorsed by Thrivent. Views are theirs and not necessarily those of Thrivent or its affiliates.
**Thrivent was named one of the “World’s Most Ethical Companies” by Ethisphere Institute for our leadership in promoting ethical business standards and introducing innovative ideas to benefit the public. "World's Most Ethical Companies" and "Ethisphere" names and marks are registered trademarks of Ethisphere LLC. For details, visit Ethisphere.com.
Team Introduction Event - Boston
On behalf of Capitol Region Group. it was a pleasure to meet many new faces at Boston's Team Introduction Event.
Working with Capitol Region Group, the financial house is the primary tool that will help guide us through key areas of your goal prioritization. We will talk through the purpose of each level, along with solutions that support these goals. Ready to begin your planning journey?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) from Potential Clients:
- Q. Are you a Fiduciary and what does that mean? A. At Capitol Region Group, our financial advisors are held to high standards of integrity and ethics, and must always act in the best interest of each individual client. Through rigorous coursework and exams, some of our financial advisors hold designations (CFA® and CFP™) that require duality in their commitment to ethics and standard of conduct. Our financial professionals are dedicated to consistently demonstrating integrity, objectivity, competence, fairness, and confidentiality in their approach to performing services and providing client guidance.
- Q. What are your services? A. We encourage potential clients to think of us as the part time CFO of their household. They are the CEO of their household, we help them with all things money related. The 4 core services we provide are retirement, investment, legacy and tax planning.
- Q. Is there an account minimum? A. No. We firmly believe that everyone should have access to high quality financial advice. That said, we do adjust service based on compensation.
- Q. Am I a fit as a client? A. You don’t have to have a large portfolio to start with us. If you have a strong income and a desire to have a guide helping you make wise money decisions, we should have a conversation. We have clients who own and invest heavily in their own businesses, in real estate, or in low-cost mutual fund portfolios that we help manage. There’s no one size fits all approach.
- Q. How do you get paid? A. We have multiple ways that we’re compensated by our clients. During the initial 15 minute introductory call, we will transparently cover the options available for you to engage in a business relationship with us.
- Q. Why can’t I just pay for your service one time? A. Unfortunately, at this time, we do not offer a one-time consult service other than the free one hour actionable recommendations consult after the 15 minute introductory phone call. Based on our years of working with clients, we’ve found that an ongoing relationship with our team of financial professionals is the best way to keep our clients on the path to financial independence.
- Q. How do I terminate the relationship if I’m not happy? A. All our contracts are at will. You can cancel anytime. For the investment account with us, you can move it elsewhere. For the financial planning contract, you can cancel anytime. We encourage you to give our relationship at least 2-3 years so that you can adequately assess the value we provide.
- Q. What’s your overall investment philosophy? A. Our investment philosophy is based on 3 main factors. First, what is the purpose of the money? What is the end goal that you want to achieve? Second, what is your risk tolerance? How much risk are you willing to take and how much risk do you need to take to achieve your goals? Third, what is the overall opportunity in the stock and bond market? If we believe the opportunity is good, maybe we invest at the higher end of your risk tolerance – more stocks and less bonds. If the market opportunity is not as good, maybe we invest at the lower end of your risk tolerance – less stocks and more bonds.
- Q. Who is my primary contact person and how will I work with the team? A. Your primary financial representative/contact person will depend on your preference and which financial professional on the team can bring the most value to your planning needs. Other team members are introduced to you when appropriate.
- Q. What is the advantage of using a team-based approach over a solo practice? We firmly believe that a team-based, collaborative approach is the best way to meet and exceed your financial planning needs. Our team approach enables us to blend multiple fields of specialties and expertise to provide the most value to you.
- Q. What does the typical financial planning relationship look like? A. You are in control. We work at your pace. We first talk about what you want to talk about, and not what we want to talk about. Lastly, our clients usually have 2 to 3 one-hour consults per year with us and shorter phone calls when needed.
- Q. What will next steps look like if I am ready to move forward? A. If you decide to work with us, we will collect some more information to sharpen the pencil on your customized and comprehensive financial plan. We will then do our analysis and start to construct your financial plan. From there, we will set up our meetings to educate, empower, and start the execution of your customized and comprehensive financial plan.